Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Notes from the Field: November

Notes from the Field:

It is November, and being the month of giving thanks in the United States, I thought I would do the same here in Sudan. I am currently in Juba, South Sudan meeting with World Bank officials, different United Nations agencies, and other NGOs working in Sudan. Everywhere I go I am thankful for all of the much-needed work NESEI is doing. Children are in the field playing football when they should be in school. Mothers who discover we are building schools quickly show me their children and ask to have them attend. The need for education is evident everywhere.  Every step I take, I am thankful for the interactions, for the words of support, for the beginnings of a new Sudan that NESEI is helping to build.


I met some foreigners working with in anti-corruption efforts within the government of Southern Sudan. They were intrigued by NESEI's approach to education: a commitment to not only provide a quality education to our students, but also allow individuals to develop skills in particular areas that the country desperately needs. A trip to the local hospital in Juba is a stark indicator that community health workers are vital, and largely unavailable, to the local population. What struck me most about the men from the government was what they said when we parted ways: "You are doing something useful for Sudan. Our work will be useful in 5 or 10 years, but your work is useful now."


We can all be thankful for our contributions towards building peace through education in Sudan. Thank you for helping NESEI to bring education to this region.


In Peace,

Katie Hatch, Sudan Co-Director


No comments: